Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A shot of saline and my first day back at work ...




Elvi and Oli .....

How can you tell that someone stole my hole puncher while I was away???
Also to notice is the red WOODOO doll on the board ;)!


Positive experience #3 while having cancer is that you can indulge yourself without feeling guilty. I took a cab to the city this morning! It felt great! Normally, this luxury would be saved to the wee hours, when you're standing half tipsy at some corner of Manhattan not having a clue which direction is downtown or uptown or how the heck you ended up wherever you are?!

My cabbie must have already had his XXL dose of caffeine this morning, because he was energetically humming a Hindi song while bobbing his had and driving across the Queens-Borough bridge. Now, I do not understand Bollywood that's true, but I can safely judge that he still makes more money driving the yellow car than performing on stage in the nighlife of New Delhi.

The first time I walked into the cancer center I wanted to pretend that I just worked there and had nothing to do with cancer or God forbid chemo. This feeling is now gone. I confidently wave past the security officers with a big smile as if walking to a 5 star hotel in my knee high leather boots and boa looking scarf tucked behind the Elie Tahari denim jacket (I had to point this out :) . You see, I dress particularly fashionable these days - especially on days when I am getting a boob job.

I do not think that my plastic surgeont, Doc. C recognizes me by my face or smile. I actually have to sit straight forward and open my blue gown (just as a perv would do) for him to go like "OOOh it's you Elvi, Sooo how you've been? " Every time I go to see him my boob grows miraculously or rather by injection of a saline liquid.

Most of the times I imagine walking into a bar
"Hi there! I'll take a shot of saline straight up, left boob please. Olives on the side. "

I now have my one and only chance to get the boobs of my dreams
(Positive experience #3 and 1/2??? ) for free!!!

Disclaimer: Please do not stare at my assets next time we meet. They are art in making and my legs are a pretty good sight as a replacement for now ;)

One more session of Doc C. left and the next time I'll see him will be May - I think.

I am back at the office - I mean work - yukkk. It is hard to believe the hardworkinghavinghadmillionjobsatthe sometime me can get so used to doing sweet nothing. Most people say "Elv you can't stay home ... you'd be so bored" - This assumption is now officially WRONG!

Oli and I catch up on the sad news of the place and some quality gossip. I also tell her that anything she says from now on can be used against her by bluntly posting it on this blog .. she giggles ...

A girl by the name of Liz calls me just as we are are ready to leave work. She got my number through a support group of some kind and she wants to help ...
"Hiiii, my name is Liz. I had BC 9 years ago and I am still alive!"

" Youpppppiieee I say .. I'll try to keep up with you girl!"

"I got so used to flashing my boobs, that I'd go to the dentist, he'd ask how I was doing and I'd pull my shirt up"

Liz went through hell and has more energy than most people I know.
(PE #4 - I keep meeting many survivors and they are the toughest cookies out there :)

When I grow up I want to be Liz!

3 Comments:

  • At October 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your writing flows so nicely and this is a joy to read...

     
  • At October 12, 2005, Blogger JUST A MOM said…

    hahah I lvoe it, I hope to pass your blog to my firend when it is right. Thanks so much, you are a chin lifter! Go ahead and click for the code breaker and the other bone head stuff will go. Have a great day!

     
  • At October 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Go beautiful girl! Laugh is the best revenge to adversity. Kick life on the balls and show with a smile how strong you are. So it is you the one making me laugh in despite of the circumstances, therefore I tip my hat for vocĂȘ.

    um beijo...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home