Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Monsoon in New York and the uncovering of a yellow cab driver


I am not quite sure yet how to do better photo editing, so for now I'll start at the end of the day - tonight we packed up for moving. While having fun, we came accross some accessories - as pictured above ... It's me on the right; the identity of the secret person on the left will be revealed soon .. stay tuned :)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ufff (as most often quoted by Noa) ... I forgot to mention a few other things that happened yesterday. One of them is my emotional meeting with Antonio.

Antonio is my favorite over the counter-Mexican teddy bear- deli person-with a biggest smile. He works right accross from my job and we've had an untold friendship pretty much from the beggining. Our conversation for the past five years has been the following:
"Elviiii"
"Hola Antonio"
"How are you beautiful?" (I am a sucker for compliments. The owner of the place has no idea what business Antonio brings in with these and similar comments. I caught him cheating on me a couple of times .... Would you believe he said the same thing to other ladies? ...
However difficult this was for me, I decided for the tactic of selective hearing, in order to keep getting my daily dose of howareyoubeautiful for many others times to follow ....)
"I am good thank you"
"What is it going to be today?"
"hmmmm .... I am not ready yet "
"Let me guess! A buttered roll and a coffee?"
"Yeah, OK :)"
"So, how is the lucky man?"
.......

"Byyeeee .. have a good day!"

Walking from the subway I was preparing myself for the scenarion to come ... The same exact conversation followed but he did not miss to ask this time
"Where have you been???"
I quietly whispered "I am sick" ....
... Antonio, as always while tossing a bacon on a roll assumed the answer was the one he'd hear many times before after my longer dissapearance
"Ohh vacaaaation ... Europe??
I looked at him and felt my eyes tearing up ...
"Antonio, I am sick! I have cancer " I whispered while I practiced Ivana's reccommendation to see your unwelcome thought as clouds - just passing by ...

He looked at me sadly while making another egg and bacon to go ....

I paid and waited watching many many clouds passing by, a storm even a hurricane ....

Antonio handed me my order making sure he touched at least a smallest part of my hand, looked into my eyes and said "Elvi! You'll be ok"

... I believed him! :)

* * * * *

Today is Monsoon season .... Tralllalllallaaa singing in the raaaiiinnn we went and looked at our new apartment ... It is sooo great! 12th floor, Upper East side, gym (yeah! Now I don't have to pay for a gym membership that I'll never use! I may just write it down that we actually have it, not pay for it and never go ), pool, receptionist and a doorman!! I was given a warm and wet welcome to the hood the other day! Wet not because it was rainig like today, but but because a Paris Hilton kind of a princess sausage dog taking his morning walk passing by licked my ankle ... Yuuuuuukkk .. what a sissy! I made my first enemy ...

Had a cab fight ... no Bollywood today! The driver would not take us to Queens ... you see, there is enough business when it's raining in Manhattan. Driving to our place would be a loss of time for him and money .... Uffff again .. Arsehole!

PE#5 having cancer empowers "you" somehow to say what you want when you want it (I can't explain this better)

I am not a born New Yorker, but I am proud to say that I can be easily mistaken for one!
I am O_P_I_N_I_O_N_A_T_E_D! So, I told Mr. IamNotGoingToQueens that he better turn to Mr. IwouldLloveTotakeYoutoQueens as I was writing down his name and ID number. He put out a fight - true, but so did I and said that I am not willinng to move OOOOR get another cab and he better drive because I just got out of the doctors office and it is pooring rain and I have cancer (I may as well milk this fact at times like this) ....


This guys was the first one since my diagnosis who could not care less - even if I was missing all four of my limbs ... He was not going to drive .. . and apparently, why would he if I was going to complain anyway? .. So we waited and waited .. it was warm inside, we weren't rushing anywhere .. rain outside ... his car was occupied, he was not making money and we were having quite an interesting debate by now about loosing my hair and the excitement of getting million different wigs, thus completely ignoring his existence ...

He gave up as I thought he would after a while .... drove us home ... I decided that a complaint would be a waste and a moral lesson would do .... NOT! He told me "You! You! You woman are sick, mentally sick" .. opssieee wrong response! I have time today ... it is still raining I just have to find the address of the Mayor's Office and get even .... Siinging in the raaaiiiiinnn traalllallaaa

And just in case for the protection of you all ..
his name is AHMAD NASEER, license number 456433


2 Comments:

  • At October 13, 2005, Blogger JUST A MOM said…

    That is too funny, I don't think I could live in such a big city. Still sounds kinda fun though. I sent my friend your letters, she goes in tomorrow.Her spirits a pretty good,well how could they be different after I pulled myslf out of the pit. Thanks again.

     
  • At October 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tell the Taxi and Limousine Commission. 40 Rector Street, Ny, Ny, 10006 212-NYC-Taxi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home