Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Thursday, October 13, 2005

And how AM I today?

If cancer does not kill me, moving will do a good job instead ... I hate this! Our apartment is a mess (times 100!).

Shalom for Yom Kippur! Had salmon and stink from onions ...

I had people suspiciously asking me today "Aaaaand how are Youuu doing?" Almost like it was an apologetic question so quiet, that if I wasn't looking at the lips of the inquirer I would not have known what the heck they wanted to know ... It wasn't the general conversation of "How are you?" "I am fine, and you?" It was a much more dramatical one ... like it isn't obvious in a second that what they really saying is "Having cancer is terrible dear, I feel so bad for you, I'll have you in my prayers even though I really don't believe in anything, thanks God it's not me AMEN!"

I would much rather just have a normal "How are you today?" and answer "I am Foooouuuchin' GREAT! - as the Irish say in this neighborhood.

There is a huge cultural difference between this quick conversation here and at "home", in Slovakia. If someone asked you on a normal cancer-free day "How are you?" you'd give a list of five random diseases that various family members are suffering from, the latest on their terrible financial situation and at least one horror story of someone 's cousin's brother's fiancee's niece who had just passed away - most likely from having worked herself/himself to death. As a bonus you may also get a gossip about some politician who wasted the government's money on a villa with 14 rooms in the countryside ...

On the other hand, if one actually had a disease of such, he/she will inevitably pretend that they don't have it by answering "Ohh I am good ... "

So, how am I?

Thanks for askin'

Hanging in there .... I am as fouuuckin' good as it gets ;)

1 Comments:

  • At October 14, 2005, Blogger JUST A MOM said…

    Hey girl, How the heck are ya feelin? Well I ws not home with my friend called today, godo for me and her. Ok I can not spell so bare with me. She told my hubby that they will do a masectomy in 2 days. She is in good spirits, says this way she can live to see her family and friends longer. Thanks so much. Really I do hope your felling pretty,,, well I forgot yoru word now. Have an even better day tomorrow

     

Post a Comment

<< Home