Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Friday, October 14, 2005

Manhattanite diaries - Day 1

Every sign points to the fact that I became a Manhattanite today!

  • I now live on the Upper East side in an apartment that is half the size of where we lived before and twice as expensive!
  • I never have to open my own door to the building again and can actually walk to work!
  • I still make less money than what my rent is!
  • Could not fit a medium size box of pasta to the kitchen cabinet
  • Am thinking about handing over all my books to the charity store in order to save space!

The last factor still separating me from this urban jungle is that I do not have a sausage dog (as described in a previous entry) with a rain coat and a pink ribbon on it. ....


Oh almost forgot ... I am also a Manhattanite, because I have a shrink.

The gang of Israeli movers, whom I passionately questioned about any possible date opportunities for my friend Noa (She refuses to date anyone but an Israeli! Both parents are strictly required to be Israeli or else he'd be only a 50% suitable match) were still at the heat of unpacking when I politely said TODA (Thank You in Hebrew) and caught a cab to Doc. Lu's office.

Never did I long for this kind of luxury in my life, but having breast cancer is a package deal - "Breastkfuskt included". You get your own surgeont, oncologist, plastic doc, a shrink and a nutritionist if you wish.

Waiting for the appointment I notice time and time again that I am much younger than all the rest of the women whose eyes are examining me even before the doc's get a chance. Yeap, I am much younger than most patients here ... much younger by something like 30 - 40 years?!

Doc Lu is nice as always ... mostly we just talk .. about ME! Me! Me! Me! - this disease reinforces my only child syndrome and so I have no stopping and even after her alarm rings billion times to say "Time's up" I carry on ... blablabllabllablaaaa ....

I am definitely feeling better judging by the urge that takes over my mind as I step out to the pouring rain - SHOPPING! The only danger is that while the shopping urge is a renewed phenomenon, the "let's splurge because I have cancer" is a notion that remains ... I see a few dollar bills dissapearing from my wallet, hesitate, SHIFT, CONTROL, ENTER ....

I am browsing through Urban Outfitters - I wonder about the existence of the "I never find anything" individuals (Did they have a difficult childhood? Were they made fun of?) ... I always find something/anything! ALWAYS! As it happened many times before, happens again .. my auto-pilot intuitive desire leads me to THE most expensive item of this CLOTHING store - a beautiful make up table with a price tag of $1950 ... I LOVE IT!!! Uff ..

I'll start Santa's list early this year ;) ...

H&M is calling my name ... I quickly browse through men's, misses, and large sizes but can't find the ASIMILAR BOOBS section! Jeeesss what an insult! They forgot about me!

A blue sweater catches my eye, looking at the price tag I practice self-discipline by repeating the magic words I was instructed to say on occasions like this "Elvi, be strong; be stroonnnnggg" ...

......a grey ruffle skirt .. don't have my size ... a sight of relief ...... In the meantime I decide to become the most fashionable Breast Cancer diva, walking gracefully on a runway of some fashion show, I nod a "Hello" to Tyra Banks, pose for a picture in a see-through boob-revealing dress and shake hands with Donald Trump ... I guess it's some BC charity event .... The following thought kills it! I realize that Kylie Minogue may already be in the lead and I give up - just like that and walk to the door

OOO OOOOhhhh .... A certain Misiss is eyeing "my" sweater .... and she is off with it, immediately followed by another woman .... I panic ... hesitate .... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand leave with two items - the sweater + something to go with it .... :)

My right arm can only lift 2.5 kilos .... current total weight 1.2kg with the umbrella ... could have shopped some more .... I am home ....

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home