Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Peeping Tom/Elvi


Brrrr it's freezing in the city! No wonder all I feel coming home after work is switching on the Christmas tree lights, finding Frank Sinatra on the CD rack, pulling the computer chair to the balcony window, feet up on the radiator and stair at the lit up windows of the opposite apartment building.

I just like to sit and imagine those lives across the street behind the glassed window boxes - one life per one window.

A family on the seventh floor is having dinner, someone to the right of them about 3 floors up is changing their clothes (Did they they just get home?), another many are stretching in front of their TV sets.
Some are entering rooms, others leaving, maybe others yet are sleeping?

I admit, I am a tiny bit of a Peeping Tom not only since we live in a high rise, but ever since I took that first cab ride at night across the Queensborough, 59th Street Bridge, from where the view inside the "flats", as the Brits say is at its best. I remain at peeping, because using the binoculars (which we do posses) would apparently be a criminal offense.
(Ok, ok, I did it a few times :)

After a night of dancing at the infamous Hungarian Disco that closed ages ago - the Red Tulip I walked out to the sidewalk and not having taken the offer of some "hunk" for a "good-night sleep" I stepped to the busy street. This was waaay before Carrie from Sex in the City taught the world her renowned hand stretch and wave.

I stood there hesitantly part of me wanting to be chic and trendy, the other part remained almost embarrassed while insecurely lifting my hand ...
"Is anyone watching?"

It took about two second, and so I never fully savored that first sweet moment of success when the peasant girl from Walnutville (Orechova Poton), region of Danube Wednesday (sorry for butchering the name:), Slovakia becomes a New York City diva for a single second.

* * * * * * * * * * *
P.S.1
My mail contained a surprise today! I received a hand written letter for the first time in 10 years and a card from my very own Chemo Angels.
I read about the program of the Chemo Angels on the net and signed up for one. (www.chemoangels.com)
If you don't ask for it, you don't get it, right? Not even an angel these days ... and so I did :)

PCE #8 My cheerleading team and angels Kelly and Liz.

P.S.2
I watched the most depressing thing on TV tonight, a complete mistake on my part: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show ..... Ufffff :)


4 Comments:

  • At December 14, 2005, Blogger JUST A MOM said…

    I am with you on the people watching. That would be sooo cool, yet, you would think those people know about people like us. Why do they not close their curtains? Chin up!!

     
  • At December 14, 2005, Blogger Elvi said…

    JaY, hardly anyone has curtains here ... they like the view to other appartments also :)

    Thanks for coming back all the time!! How is your friend?

     
  • At December 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    boboca.... is that why you had borrowed my telescope? lol..
    love,
    S

     
  • At December 15, 2005, Blogger JUST A MOM said…

    UUUMMM she is starting chemo in Jan. yeah I am getting worried I can't be there, and she has no suport to mention.
    WOW no curtains KINKY!!! ENJOY :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home