Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

6 more to go!


Isn't it surprising how a human body can get used to pretty much anything? Normalcy is whatever you have to deal with right now. I often used to say
"I could never do it" .... WRONG!

We all deal with whatever life offers at the moment - lemons per my case ...

Normal for a while is going for my chemo treatment - just like last Friday.
The first time I had Geoff with me, the second time I had Misa by my side, Chemo Guy in my bag and Jennifer on my head.

Walking into the Estee Lauder building I now recognize faces - guards,
doctors, receptionists and other Jennifers waiting to be salvaged from head tops. Having a wig myself I now examine every single hairdo (undercover, of course at the elevator) while describing the series of procedures to Misa that I am about to endure.

The first step is the vampire's lab. Joe, a friendly big-smile also hairless nurse pinches my finger for a blood sample necessary to check for white blood count and leans over "Have you started loosing hair yet?"
I toss my blond locks over my shoulder and smile ..
"You could have fooled me girl!"

The chair next to me is occupied by a pretty Indian girl. Her dark complexion, big bown eyes and dimples on both sides make you forget that she is also - bald.
At Sloan, they always check what your name is and when you were born (not that anyone would want to switch .. "Oh .. why don't I just play cancer patient for a day .. ") .. and I hear her say ... "1977"

"1977?"

That is 3 years younger than I am! I've been wallowing in my self-pity for being so young and having this F(**in Harry .. yet, here is this reality check ...
"Why do I feel comforted by other's misfortune?"

Misa is dragged inside the examining room and when nurse Kris attempts to explain the self-administering of my $4000/per pop shot to raise my white blood cells I re-direct her to her ... She's had practice while assisting making frozen babies. I am fed up to play the main part ... Can I just participate?

My mom is on her way from the airport on a secret assignment to nurse her babygirl back to health in the next month.

Present number 2 is pictured above!

6 more to get!

4 Comments:

  • At December 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You look beautiful in your new hair :) Hope to talk to you again soon sweetie.(MSN?) Line

     
  • At December 08, 2005, Blogger JUST A MOM said…

    Hey girlsy,, I have not forgotten about you, just get busy. Your lookin good! Your in my prayers, enjoy your mom's visit! KEEP up the fight!

     
  • At December 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hottie in a pink sweater...

     
  • At December 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Linda Here is Marcelo !
    Keep fighting !!
    I imagine this fight hard but try think in our energy and prayers here in Brazil !
    with love from us
    Marcelo and Maira

     

Post a Comment

<< Home