Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Chemoland

Chemoland is very similar to Disneyland .. you go on a ride expecting your stomach upside down and inside out, not knowing which corner hides another elevated path or a dragon behind and hope that whatever happens you don't a) throw up on the person next to you
b) enjoy the ride (at least a little bit) and c) at the end you say it was worth all that wait in the line.

Knowing my body (more like not knowing my body) I was cocky enough to think that I will do just fine, maybe 2 days feeling under the weather as many say it happens and youppieeee skipping through the treatments till the end of February ...

I open my eyes in the morning hoping that I will be fine, but already sitting up I feel my stomach tumbling, my mouth tastes like I haven't brushed for 2 months and my head spins - the chemicals react. The bathroom seems far away walking straight up and so I crouch ... shower .. no relief ... dress up .... I wear mini skirts and high heels just to get some dignity back ... with my luck I live 4 blocks from work and so I don't have to put up with the smelly crowd ... I stay for a half day, because writing a single email I feel like passing out ...

The only thing I can still do without any difficulty is sleep ... I've slept more in this single week than in months! I wish I could hibernate for a season, while going through this "Insurance Policy" as my doctor calls it and wake up like Sleeping Beauty ... Rosy cheeks, healthy, long beautiful hair included with my prince aside ... I haven't lost a single hair yet ... it happens day 14-16 after the treatment, but I decided not to watch my hair going in strands, so I will have it shaved ... next Thursday

What is strange - I am nauseous and yet I can still eat and have a huge appetite!
Once, during my high school years, longing for an extra day off school I went to the doctor's office and claimed:
" Ohhh I have a stomach ache, I threw up, my head spins, I am nauseous and could not bear to sit through the day ... "
the doctor then asked me "Have you had any breakfast?"
"Yes, bread with butter and jam, a hot chocolate and an apple ... "
and she said " Do you have an exam today? ... "

(So there, it's possible!)

I am feeling better now .. my mouth is full of various sores (a bi-product of the chemo again) and I feel like I've been eating cotton balls, but otherwise I am ok .. until Friday again ....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home