Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Friday, November 18, 2005

Seven more to go!



The fact that I reached for the first thing in my closet at 8 AM, put it on and did not change five times afterwards points to the following fact:

I was not thrilled to go to my first chemo session!

In this unexcited stage, I completely forgot about Chemo Guy, who's been waiting neglected at the very same spot on the old typewriter, where I took a portrait of him on Wednesday. I was previously told that the pregnancy test (necessary to start chemo) came back inconclusive and that I'd have to have another test this morning. Having hatched my multiple eggs on Thursday and the consequent ban on physical activity connected to the issue at stake makes me believe, that unless I became a Mother Mary overnight I can not be pregnant. In this thought I phantomed about selling my new Mother Mary pictures as me on e-bay and cashing out .. chiching, chiching, chiching .... ; However, later on of course I was informed that I am no replica of Mary and that this false positive came from the drugs still lingering around my body.

"EEeeeeeelvieeeraaa"
The nurse from the lab sang my name in soprano as she was getting ready to slaughter her first victim. A black lady, in her mid fifties, with energy level hardly equal to what I produce at work on any given day and a cheery smile showed me to my seat.

"Here! Squeeze this!" she handed me a gray foam brain, while still pre-occupied with her needles, vials and band-aids.

"It's kind of hard to get my veins! They roll ... Just a warning!:)"

"And what exactly do you want me to do? (She asked in a high pitched voice)
.
.
.
.
Catch 'em?"

I burst out laughing and completely missed the pinch. She is good!

"Weell, we better get acquinted quickly, as I'll be seeing you quite a bit!
Maaaa naaame is Pearl, and III aaam a vampire here!
"

"Nice to meet you Pearl, my name is Ellvaaaaayyyyra and I am a vampire too!"

As far as I recall, this was THE FIRST time in my life that I pronounced my name the way it never should be articulated - EEEEllvaaaayra. All this just to proove vampire Pearl that I have a claim to vampireseness too! EEEllvaaayyraa! Not only was "I" on a TV show in the 70'S(?), the two of us shopped at the same place for our wigs. The place, where Gwen made her a whitch with a broom black style, while he is in the process to create the blond and sexy, new ME!

Vampire Pearl made my day and everyone I met afterwards just contributed to this notion! It is almost hard to believe that you can not find the insensitive needle nazi here, the one that I've met so many times before!

* * *

Dr. Mo is not the "warm and fuzzy" kind, as described by Sloan patients terminology, yet I am liking her tremendously. You'll never hear a phony "Hello, how are you?" from her .. well, as far as today goes, not even a "Hello" YET ...
She seems extremely knowledgeable, matter of factly, intelligent and phlegmatically caring (Provided you're tuned in to the same wavelength and pick up on it)! The fact, that she reminds me of my X college professor hero of Psychology - Dr. Johnson also stands on her side. Dr. Johnson's classes always reassured my choice of major - Psychology; Dr. Mo reassures my choice of agents .... 007 :)

The medical exam itself is not a big deal. By now I am used to various doctors poking their fingers into my armpits, thus eventually relieving my crotch from this duty! Shaving is still a bit of a mystery. The scar after the lymph node removal is a weird one that I am unable to manage weeding out so far. The last time I was this embarrassed about having armpit hair was shortly after moving to London from X Czechoslovakia.

I started dating my first international boyfriend, Ilhan from Turkey who after about three dates bluntly pointed out with his French/Turkish/British accent:
"You know, you should really start shaving! I am a lad and I shave!"

"WOW!"

OK, so I may not know about the trend of shaving. Why are you holding it against me? Is it my fault?

You see, our Eastern European Communist beauty magazines did not teach us about the "5 best ways to get a guy to your bed" or "top 15 ways to know he is really into you" or "3 ways you can get him to buy you diamond earrings" or "7 secrets to go hairless", however I clearly recall that the slut of my high school class called Sylvia (she does not speak English, so it's OK to write it here :) mentioned something about guys who shave their armpits and are gay?
Which, of course is fine with me as long as he is not actually dating ME!

* * *

CC, my counselor stopped by to my pleasant surprise! She is the one who taught me at the beginning how to deal with my scary emotions and the internet savvy living inside ...

(Sometime in September ... )

"CC, I am sorry to call you! I am just worried... "
"Why? What have you been doing?"
"Well, I am reading .... "
"I am reading theee theeee The Internet ... "
"Grrrrrrrrrr .. (I can almost see CC's face turning into the angry look ... the kind that you find among emoticons under "frown" or the "rolling eyes")
"And WHY ARE YOU READING THE INTERNET???"
"Didn't I tell you what the only helpful literature to you at this stage is? "
(I am almost weeping ... )
"I, III , IIII think you did, Pe - -ople magazine? Sniff sniff "
"Paris Hilton's new dog? JLo's desire for kids? Britney Spears and her useless hubby? and Jude Law's sex affair? Donald Trump's new tupee?"

CC! Thanks! The dog, JLo's kids, Brit and Kev, Jude Sexy bastard Law?
THEY helped!
..... another satisfied cancer patient customer ....


While talking to CC I informed her about my new deal! Every time I get a treatment, I get a present! According to my fine calculations, that makes 8 presents for every chemo!
I wish it really was A present per A hair lost, but I try to be understanding and supportive to my environment, so I keep this idea a secret. Additionally, there is always a danger that Gee may outsmart me and start gifting gift-wrapped peas with a bow for every hair ...

A few hours later I had three injections of red liquid, a bag of saline and another bag of 007 down my veins. No nausea so far, nothing - just that shopper inside is knocking to be let loose ....

CC mentioned that a woman in a similar situation was getting a pair of earrings after every treatment, but I thought to start off with a pair of knitted gloves that I spotted at Urban Outfitters the other day and work my way up to maybe a beautiful dress by February from Vic Secret? ...

It was an inspirational day for Gee ... gift #1 is pictured above ...

At the end of the day, I really don't mind using those ugly gloves for $5 off the street vendor that I bought 3 years ago!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home