Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Monday, May 22, 2006

Penguins' steps ahead

Life is great!

I am becoming a bit obsessed with tango - that is good news, no? Just a couple of months ago I was obsessed with cancer, now I switched to tango.

Despite of my last week's downfall when Will, my teacher told me I walked like a penguin in front of the whole class I did not give up! Mind you, he did not just say I walked like this arctic mammal without pointing at me or without remembering my name, NO! He said it out clear and loud in front of about 20 people "Elvi, you walk like a penguin!" (I looked around like there were 15 Elvi's in the class) ... If that's not an encouragement for a student in a dance class I don't know what is? Maybe if he had said I not only walk like a penguin, but also dance and look like
one???

Anyway, I did not let it get to me! I came back the following week, said "Hello" to Will and when he admitted he had forgotten my name, I said I was "Penguin!" ... Obviously, he did not understand (I guess he does not use "Penguin" on a regular basis) He gave me this puzzled look like I went crazy and said "Why is that your name?" ... and I answered in one single breath "Wellbecauseyougaveittomeandbydoingsoyouspoiledmyentirewee-
kandsoInowhavenoselfconfidenceleftandyoubettercompliment-
meonmydancingtodaytomakeituptome!!!!"

Visibly, somewhat embarrassed Will took my hand and danced about three songs with me - that never happens! I am normally stuck with some mouth-stinking-two-left-leg.

Anyway ... after the penguin incident I have been getting only and only good male reviews and so my ego now is so big with tango that I am ready to switch professions! I went on Friday to a class followed by a milonga (a tango disco) and satisfied most of my partners. Apparently "I was their best partner yet" another one asked "What are you doing in this class? You must be a professional!" (That’s when I almost kicked him in his crotch as I was swinging my legs around) ... and yet another male said "You'll make your momma proud one day!”... WOW ... WOW WOW ...

There were a few uncomfortable moments during the night ... one of them was created by the old man who thought he was the dance floor's Tiger and squeezed me so tight I could barely stretch out my legs backwards (in Tango women walk almost always backwards) ... of course the teacher came right over to correct my moves ...

I love dancing not only because it is beautiful and fun, but because the non-verbal communication between the man and the woman dancing is just such an interesting phenomenon! Like when he is trying to push his chest against mine so hard that it's more than uncomfortable, so I try to push away ... while wondering what kind of a music he is hearing because according to my ears he is completely off the beat... of course though he is leading the dance so I, in an awkwardly manner try to slow him down first just gently by a force of a hand and when I do not succeed I rip my body away from the deaf sinner who just killed the joy of dance ...

I also danced with Mr. Shorty.. He is a surprisingly good dancer, (I've had him before). He reaches up about the under wire of my bra, even hears the tunes and I would not mind dancing with him at all, HOWEVER! This teacher, that we had on Friday decided to practice the close embrace... meaning ... you have to lean completely against the guy without holding (just for the practice round) ... Having to lean against my love or some attractive 5.10 hunk would not be a problem, but looking at Mr. Shorty I was terrified ... Imagine ... Me with 5.8 height, add heels about 3.5 + the fact that I don't dance feet flat on the ground and you can calculate the extensiveness of the disaster. I am not sure what happened ... I think I just ignored the entire block of instructions and told him I wanted to practice some other step instead ... (I am sneaky like that :)

Then there was Mr. Russia - same height, but no experience dancing! I was even questioning whether he learned walking! Now, in tango you supposed to slide on the floor and move with still shoulders... not this guy! ... His every single step was like he was jumping across a puddle of water while his body rocked right and left as the boat in the movie "The Perfect Storm". I was getting seasick just by looking at him, so I asked him nicely to just try walking ... don't f(*(in' rock! walk walk walk! Sposibo tovaris! I am thankful that a song is only 4-5 minutes long!

Guys who dance tango on a certain level, on the other hand are not your regular men that are happy that they did not step on your feet. Here is for example
Mr. Latino ... We just learned a new step and here I am trying to my best abilities not to repeat the penguin walk when he starts rolling his eyes and in broken English, looking down at me like I was some servant of his says "You are doin' it wrong" ... WOW ... I've never seen this!!! I mean, I never EVER experienced anything even similar to this! A man with an attitude on the dance floor bigger than mine!!! Sissy! He should have lead me to do the trick! He is the faulty!!!

OK ... ok .. I'll shut up about tango ...

Here is some post-cancer stuff: I am having my operation on Wednesday! Cross your fingers everyone again!

PS2: Jennifer is being adopted! She is flying to Albania to befriend some other lady with BC! I'll report about her new home when I know more!

3 Comments:

  • At May 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck on Wednesday!! Line

     
  • At May 22, 2006, Blogger Elvi said…

    Thank you Line! :)

     
  • At June 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elvi - I would have crossed my fingers if I knew it earlier. Hope it went well. I sweare I love your short hair - really cute! You did not mention (or I just missed) what was this operation about? All the best. Agota

     

Post a Comment

<< Home