Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Tomorrow

Tomorrow is my 3rd treatment and I can not wait to write "2 more to go" as my next blog entry. You may think that it is a horrible experience (which it is), but the doctor's office visit is actually a pleasant one. It is the "side effects" (more like the "main" effects) that are not pleasant.

My oncologist, Dr. Mo may not have been the warmest person on the first visit, but the more I saw her, the more I grew to like her. She is a straight shooter and will not "rub honey around my mouth" (as the Czechs say) - she gives me facts, numbers and chances at life that I am so grateful for.

The other day I found a lump on my head (Since my diagnosis I find random lumps on random places by half a dozen daily).

"Dr. Mo, I think I have a lump under my beautiful wig"
(She looks at me behind her Lennon glasses with suspicion)

"Ok, let me look!"
(I am tearing Jennifer off and she is sticking her fingers underneath the broom top of my head. The kind of broom head that was combed and cared for in the morning, but there is only so much one can do ... )

"Yeap! You have a lump!"
(A much shorter answer than I had expected. She does not seem worried at all and I sort of feel that this conversation should have carried on, but she is done paying attention to this particular body part and moving on and adjusting the scale to check my weight ... )

"Dr, Mo?"

"Yeeeassss?"

"Can it stay there?"

".... I mean the lump ... "

"Yeap! It can! You lost two kilos .. that is not bad ...."

Conversation over ..

You see what I mean ? Not warm, but factual Doc Mo!

* * * *

Her nurse, Kristen is also a sweetheart; she looks away, smiles or gives advice when appropriate. She also answers my every single phone call as soon as she can and makes sense of all the little pills I have to take.

"Take two ADAVAN's in the morning ...."
"You mean the little green one?"
"I don't know what color they are"
"I don't know what they called ... "

We arrive at a communication gap ... It takes a while to translate color to name and vice versa and eventually we agree to study each others terminology for the next time

(I just remembered that someone once pointed out that I refer to the New York subway lines also by color while the rest of the world uses numbers ... Hmmmm .. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my favorite color is the rainbow? )

4 Comments:

  • At January 28, 2006, Blogger JUST A MOM said…

    2 more woo hoo then you are done?????

     
  • At January 28, 2006, Blogger Elvi said…

    Yeap Jay! Thank you so much for your cheerleading!!!

     
  • At January 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Elvi. Just wanted you to know that even if I dont write comments in your blog that much, I am in here almost every day looking for news and updates. Hang in there!! Only two more to go now :) Line

     
  • At January 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Line, thank you sweetie! I hope your next trip to New York will do all we planned last September! Elvi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home