Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Another reason to learn languages



Speaking more than one language seemed to prove useful many times in the past. I got jobs, made friends, helped strangers and listened in to conversations of the clueless thanks to this skill.

Last Wednesday I had the opportunity again to utilize my language abilities.

Oli and I went to the infamous Chirping Chicken. CC is not a high class eatery. In addition to nannies with food comatose kids in strollers it draws it's clientele of office and construction workers alike.

Just when we were in the midst of passionately discussing the newest office drama, three young men in their timberland boots, jeans and sweatshirts sat behind the table next to us. It took only a few seconds before I noticed that they were speaking Hungarian.

I've lived in New York for almost 10 years and never succeeded passing by a bunch of construction guys without them having to make some sort of non-constructive observation, like "Look guys! she has a big ass" (to which I would have always loved to answer something on these lines - but never had the guts to do it ... "and you probably have a tiny eany-meany ...khm .. . khm ...PG13 ").

According to past experiences the least likely they think that you can understand them, the more vivid and descriptive the comment is that "you" get.

I was not in the mood to listen in to their conversation this time, neither was I going to disrupt Oli's conspiracy theory and so I ignored the table next to us as long as I could ....

The potato and the salad landed satisfactorily at the bottom of my stomach and as soon as I pulled my chair from the table I felt three pairs of eyes simultaneously staring at me. The exact location where the eyes were stuck: my butt and boobs (Ufff ... as long as it's not JenniferTheWig at this stage I don't care I said to myself and marched towards the disposal bin with my tray).

I became curious and to give "my workers" the feeling of false security I asked Oli in loud and clear Czech to grab a cup of coffee after lunch.

The cat was out of the bag before even finishing my sentence ...

Construction worker No.1: Hmmmmm, she is pretty good.
Construction worker No2: Oh pleeeeease, just look at her .... she is flat like a table ....

(Who? Me? You did not just say that sucker! To insult the best plastic surgeon at Sloan like this! I want my revenge!)

I pinned my eyes on the opinionated one and strolled towards him while keeping the gaze .... from the corner of my eye I saw the face expressions of the others changing, which followed their skin tone change from pale beige to babybreath white and quiet ... really quiet!

"Hi! Next time you have an opinion you may want to keep it to yourself!" ... I said in Hungarian" then turned around, picked up my bag, told Oli I changed my mind - I will not want the coffee (in Czech), turned around again ...

"Good bye boys! Have a nice day" ... in Hungarian ....

Prologue: Isn't life funny? I've never been commented on my "flatness" with my A+ boobs, but now that I am Pam Anderson I get this statement!
As far as the boys go I dedicate the above picture to them :)

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home