Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Saturday, February 04, 2006

No more rabbit


Before "Turtle, turtle" there was "Rabbit, rabbit"

Geoff's elementary school teacher told her class once that saying "Rabbit, rabbit" on the first day of every month brings luck.

It is scary how kids remember some things and take it to heart. Apparently, little Geoff wanted to be either really lucky or was so taken aback by his teacher that since the age of 6 he's been saying "Rabbit, rabbit" every 1th day of every month for luck.

There is no scientific proof that if you follow the "rabbit trail" it will actually work, but since our relationship began it became a ritual to try to beat each other in reminding about the "rabbit".
I wasn't going to take any chances with this superstition so I was on with the tradition ...

Once I even heard it while watching the morning news. The announcer on FOX said it out loud to my surprise in between two news pieces - one about Iraq, "Rabbit, rabbit", and the other about some shooting in the Bronx.

Being diagnosed with breast cancer confirmed what I feared for a while - "Rabbit, rabbit" does not work :(
It does not bring luck, health or any other priviledges that one would dream about ....

Both disappointed - we made a change! ... from September 2005 it's "Turtle, turtle" for us on the SECOND of every month!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home