Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Friday, February 24, 2006

My graduation speech


Dear "chemo sisters", doctors, nurses, family, friends and unknown cheerleaders!

This is the third graduation day in my life! On my first two occasions I felt a little sad, but this time I am thrilled!

I will not miss those nauseous days, tasteless meals and sitting at a chemo booth for hours attached to various IV lines.


Having said that, during this process I've learned not only who my real friends are, the value of family, my limitless limits but also everyday things .... like how to show confidence with fake hair, how to avoid compliments about my great new hairdo and how to create symmetry in my chest area.

.. how to find the closest exit when the smell of the food from a restaurant kitchen hits my nose and the food inside changes direction upwards ...

I also became an expert on medical research, findind lumps in virtully any parts of my body and the topic of breast cancer, of course ...

I never appreciated little things in life so much as during this time - like having an attention span longer than 10 minutes and being able to decipher tastes between a grilled fish and a tiramisu.

They say life is a journey, I did not choose it this time but this is the card I was given ... mine is more like a roller coaster ride. I've been on the downward spiral for a long time, but hoping that the the one who is handing out the cards and steering my car is bored with the way down and will change direction towards the peak.

I got my eight chemo treatments, my eight presents as promised, but now it's time to say hooray for some new hair and good-bye cancer!


One of us had to go ... either Elvi or Harry ... I am still rooting for me :o)...

1 Comments:

  • At March 11, 2006, Blogger JUST A MOM said…

    I am so late ,,, I am so sorry!!!!! I am sooooooooooo thrilled to have read your journey. I am not srue if you read my blog or not but I flew to Fl. and picked up my friend and we(I) drove a mini van to Washington state to her daughters. She will start her treatments there. 4000 miles in 6 days.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home