Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Monday, July 10, 2006

A day at work

I know, I know I am neglecting my all five+1 readers due to nothing else but Summer and tango ... The truth is, that besides going to work (yuck), tango classes, milongas and more milongas I have not been doing that much.

In addition to dancing I started thinking about changing my job! The key word is "thinking" because I really have not done a thing so far in order to move beyond the idea that it would be great to actually do something I enjoy and make decent money and have health insurance offered by the company and 401K and have savings and a real business card with some important title and feel successful and have a place for creativity and just little things - like have my OWN work email account without needing to share it with the entire office - youppieee that would be real nice almost like the 21th century! ... You get the point, no?

My resume needs quite a bit of upgrading and beautifying before I send it out!
I may make a t-shirt like the guy we saw running in the park .. it said "IT JOB NEEDED 917 521 6589" (I just made up the phone number, so don't call him with offers! ... the rest is a fact!). What a smarty! Why would one pay money to buy goods just to advertise them on your chest or .. Let’s say butt like "JUICY"? He has nothing to loose! If nothing else, I am sure someone would have congratulated him for coming up with the idea (he was pretty good-looking.. on the second thought he may not only be looking for a job ... A case of subliminal advertising?! ;)

It's really high time IIIIIIIIII started looking for something new on the work front because I just about bear working at the place I've been now for 5 years. You know you need a new job, when you start thinking about your past waitressing job in terms of "glamorous" and "rewarding". I swear, if I wasn't addicted to clothes and shoes I'd just become a hunter-gatherer and live somewhere on a beach, rather than work "here"!

Normally, one would most likely dislike some aspects of their job and like others ... me on the other hand - I only have feelings of dislike and have no clue what "like" is like :) See, if I felt that I was contributing at least a tiny bit to the society I may have a sort of consolatory feeling, but at the moment if anything -I am contributing solely to the numbers of grumpy individuals who wake up in the morning already daydreaming - wishing I was somewhere in the Caribbean while watching the clock on the wall tick away to 5pm!

Here is a little incident portraying what contributes to my feelings and also shows my fine customer service skills ...

A woman calls ..

She starts off with saying that she could not reach anyone and that she needs these papers ASAP (it would have been surprising if she didn't need it ASAP) and that she called and read the website, but the info is not there and that she did not find anything on the subject but on the same token she did in fact read something similar to what she is looking for, however "just in case" (what case?) she wants to double check and triple check and quadruple check, because "one never knows" and she better confirm ...

Me, not having compassion for the poor soul or "paciencia" (given the fact that I put all the info on the web :) go on a rant about how it's on the website and how she shouldreadit,
butOKifyouhavetoaskaquestionthatisnotanswered
therearenoquestionslike that! ... Then go ahead!

"Well, I have a problem with mailing!"

Oooooooouuukeeeeeyyyyy .....
And what is that exactly? (I inquire least curiously)

"Well, I just don't understand how two same size envelopes - the regular envelope
and the return envelope should be sent? I mean, how do they fit into each-other?"

"hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ..."
(How does one answer without making the other feel like there is developmentally something wrong with their brain if she needs to call MULTIPLE times to figure this out??? Do I laugh? Do I cry? Do I play along and pretend that it's a valid question? I am so insulted! I've only studied how long to have to do this at my job?)

"Miss, have you ever thought of folding it?"

"Oh! (A surprised voice on the other line squeaks)
"I didn't know you could fold it!"

Ufff ... I am not an Einstein myself, but in comparison to some individuals I do resemble him, I guess ;o) I should paste in red letters on every single page WARNING: "CONTENT IS NOT IDIOT PROOF"

2 Comments:

  • At July 14, 2006, Blogger Elvi said…

    Geoffrey, I can't believe you insult yourself on my blog then I get pissed off then you tell me it was a test and that I passed! WTF! You're not even my b-friend! You're my fiancee! :P BTW: Can't believe I am going to marry a person who can not figure out the envelope problem :)))

     
  • At July 14, 2006, Blogger Elvi said…

    I mean .. I was ready to go to virtual war with the a-hole .. (You? :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home