Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Things that piss me off and more ...

You all know how much I like the American Bob Marley spirit (of course I know he is Jamaican :) of "Everything is gonna' be all right!" and all the cheering and support and fake and real smiles that one gets living here ... but today I got so pissed off ...

Walking to work I picked up the free subway paper AM and leafed through the pages reading big city news. Well, yesterday a 21 years old homeless person stabbed 4 people while riding a subway train! The story shook all New Yorkers and their feeling of commuter security (Because Al Kaida does not do a good job at that already ...) When my visitors come to New York I am always the one, who reverses their subway phobia and tells stories, how it may be a dirty, smelly place and a playground for germs, but it really is safe, OK to ride and even fun at times.

One of the victims is a 21 years old Texan, who was sightseeing New York with his girlfriend. According to the paper he just about escaped death after undergoing an emergency heart surgery yesterday, but now he is conscious and says he already "forgave the attacker"?

"Forgave the attacker" ... I keep thinking how it all happened .... he gets out of anaesthasia lucky to have survived, opens his eyes and says "I forgive him?!" .. no mention of the life threatening operation, the fact that he is most likely in pain and dealing with emotional and physiological stress and spoiled vacation! “Let’s all just love each-other and live happily ever after” .. . lalalaaaa ...

Call me the five letter word if you wish, but I can not phantom myself in this scenario.

What does "forgive" mean?

Tap, tap on the shoulder, group hug, big juicy kiss on the cheek "It's ok son, just don't do it again?" ... the attacker gives the sad puppy face .. walks away ….”Yo brother! It's all ok!" High five, knuckle bump, thumbs up!

Isnt’ that great? We’re a one big happy family here on Earth!

”I forgive” ???? I am sorry, but if this was me I would not forgive ... I'd tell him how much I hate him for what he did, that he is in the same category as Harry, I’d spit on his face or at least jump on his foot trillion times (like Geoff does to me while tango-ing) and make him slave for the next 30 years under supervision, in prison spending his time doing community service, picking up garbage, cleaning the subway trains or pulling rickshaws on foot around Central Park with cancer patients and survivors enjoying their day ... You bet I'd be in the back seat directing traffic! "Hmmm ... a little faster, faster, yeah ... I did not like that bump, please avoid it next time! Ok, I forgive, you can take a break now ... Thank you! WHo's next for the ride?"

* * * * * *

Anyway I am still excited to fly home, but mom is driving me crazy - she is persuaded that all diseases come from being cold and getting cold and she calls every day to remind me that I should bring warm clothes, specifically tights ... “becauseItellYoualltheTImeButyouneverListenEven
thoughItisNow40degresCelziusButYouneverKnowWhatCouldhappen”
I, in return comfort her that my hats and gloves and yes, tights! for Slovakia Summer are already packed and Thanks God I have her to tell me what to bring and how to dress otherwise I'd be lost and calling the Slovak tourist board for advice. (Misa gets those calls all the time .. "Helloo, I am traveling to the Czech Republic .. does it rain in August? What gifts shall I bring my Czech relatives? Do I need vaccination? "I heard there is a peace march the week we're there, will there be traffic? What roads will be closed?" “Do Czechs sleep in national costumes? “I am sailing to the Czech Republic, where do I get a sailor’s permission to enter? )

Ok ... I'll go now still have to pack and I just spend a productive work hour producing this blablabla on the blog :)

4 Comments:

  • At June 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elvi, I am with you on the 'forgivness', can't imagine it either.
    Have a great time in Slovakia! Hope you'll report... Dana from CY

     
  • At June 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dana! I am so glad you "stopped" by :) How are you? Are you going to Slovakia this Summer?

    Elvi

     
  • At June 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have a nice trip to Europe sweetie. Line :)

     
  • At June 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have fun in Slovakia!!!!!!!!!

    This was a funny post, and I agree completely. I like it when you're mad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home