Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Just an update

Today was the Puerto Rican parade in Nueva York. A wonderful event by all means!
Blue white and red flags, garbage littering the streets and crazy loud speakers vomiting the newest reggaeton for hours! I am sure the inhabitants of the upscale 5th Avenue must have been thrilled by all the happenings in their neighborhood.

We didn't go - I've lived here so long and never have I had the urge to participate in such a street fiesta. For those that do not know, the boricua (Puerto Rican) parade is famous for
girls in skimpy clothes. Many mamasitas, well endowed with bits and pieces hanging over
the line above the belt or overflowing on the sides or bulging out of the bra come out this day! (You can't say I am writing this because I am jealous, huh? .. I got them! :)

I remember once, during the height of my waitresing career at the Barking Dog, on the PR parade morning two policemen walked into the restaurant and ordered their breakfast before reporting for duty. Shelly or Mii-chelle as I call her was waiting on them (having a soft spot for men in uniform) and asked where they were heading that day .. the two handsome policemen responded: "The PR parade" when Shell putting down their two eggs sunny side up with hash browns and rye toast (butter on the side) winked at them and said "For that event you're wearing too much!" ...

Anyway, I am so excited! We're flying home on Friday ..Well, not home but Prague is close enough! My smarty Geoff is giving a presentation and I am meeting a few high school friends and having my cousin with her daughter come and stay. A few days later will drive home to Danube Wednesday and enjoy the June winter and some home cooked meals.

Yeah .. What’s up with the weather? It's been so cold! I am dying to wear my summer dresses and copying the Ricans ... show off some skin and flash. No luck so far ... I am stuck with long sleeves and pants!

I want to see the "Inconvenient truth"; the film by Al Gore about global warming ... Julia already scared the heck out of me the other day... I saw her by coincidence right after she saw the movie and she would not stop going on and on and oooon about it "ELviButyouhavetorealizethat....
thepolarbearsaredrowningwewonthaveanyrivers,
therewillbenonewyorkandnoeuropeandaustralianisshrinkingandwillalljustdie"
Shit!
Cancer does not sound that bad at the end of the day now that I am in a
race for survival with polar bears!

Geoff says Al was wrong! It's not global warming! It's global freezing ... apparently in Hungary they requested heating ....

My tango mania continues! By all signs I am getting back to normal self - I bitch and bitch and bitch about things and pick fights as before cancer ... YAY!!! Here! You wanted it, you've got it! You've got the old Elvi again!

I mostly bitch during tango classes ... there are days when I feel like I got it down and I am irresistible and all that but let's face it .. when an 80 years old man rejects you after a single dance is that suppose to lift my confidence? Yeah! It happened! Normally you dance a
set of four songs at milongas (tango discos) ... Not HIM! (The 80 years old one) ... he kind of walked away from me after one song after realizing that I am just an enthusiastic learner who can swing her legs right and left, but has no idea about the steps ... Hm ... Just living my life again ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home