Just a recipe on how to make lemonade ...

Hi! I am Elvi. I live, work and play in New York City. Initially I started this blog to share my experiences with the world about my breast cancer diagnosis and the chemotherapy afterwards, but now (knock knock on wood) I just write about my everyday life encounters. I believe, that every experience in life can be turned into a positive one, hence the title ... When life gives you lemons make lemonade! (And I've made lots of it already!)

Friday, October 28, 2005

Self-preservation 101

Breast cancer does not only come with the operation, chemotherapy, needles, tears, get-well cards and pitiful looks, it also puts you face to face with a question of self-preservation or in another terminology - children.
The average woman gets BC at the age of 40+, or a stage of life when most them have already:
A) had children
B) had grandchildren
C) had children/grandchildren, but wish they never had them the first place!

Thanks to my pure "luck" as it happened - I belong to the 5% of all women on this universe with whom Harry (BC) moved in early and therefore screwed up all my "I don't want kids until I am ready" attitude, where "ready" may be interpreted as a factor significantly dependent on the desire to obtain higher degrees, more money, better job/career, better quality of a sperm donor/boyfriend (past tense) and my ability to curb my constantly growing travel lust .....

Reversed psychology works! (Mom: the more you say you want grandchildren, the less I do!) Having worked as a nanny myself for million years works also! Annabel, I love you! But ohh my favorite time of every day was when I could hand you over to your eager parents, closed the door and did not hear even a sneeze!

Well, Harry changed all this!

If you never wanted children before, you now (with Harry) wish there was a stack of them in the closet just waiting to be released! Chemotherapy may put women to early menopause and as a result, many may never have children!
Ask me if I want children now!

Nurse Betty suggested a treatment where one can freeze eggs, or almost babies (embryos) or have a tissue taken out and then re-planted. We seem to be the prototype modern family of the 21th century! "Pick your boob size, shape and filling (hazelnut/banana crunch please or silicon??), freeze a few kids (just read in a magazine that they actually do not expire for another 10 - 15 years! .. unlike everything we have in our fridge from three weeks ago .. ) and pretend it's all normal! This would be my advice!

I wonder what's next ... penis extension???

* * * * * *
DISCLAIMER: This issue seems to be rather personal and due to this reason from now on I will refer to the bees and the birds ... Well, the bees ...
* * * * * *

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home